From: David Maynard [mailto:DMaynard(--nospam--at)kfx.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 3:08 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Staad loading

The question is what the “bottom chord” loading is.  The title for Load 3, as I see it, is “Floor Live Load”.  This might not be the right loading.  You are likely looking at a model of a truss, and I don’t know what member 3 is, that is, if it is the top chord of the truss or the bottom chord.  Without seeing the entire input file, really ANY conclusion drawn from this is completely speculation.  The only thing you can determine is that this member is loaded with an 80 plf load in the global y (downward direction).  If these trusses are assumed to be at 2 foot centers, then yes, this is a 40 psf loading.  However, what member 3 is as far as the model is concerned, can NOT be determined by the information presented.

You can send me the file personally and I’ll take a look at it to verify.  I’ve used STAAD quite a bit and I’d be willing to clarify.  I would have no problem with this and it shouldn’t take long at all.

Dave Maynard, PE
Gillette, Wyoming