RE: Staad loading

And of course, how is this load addressed in the load combinations sections (if at all).  Is there an 0.75 factor on the live load to allow for 33% allowable overstress, etc.  And sometimes, the load list factor is set to ignore certain loads for intermediate analysis results.  I would respectfully take advantage of those who generously offered a quick look at the code for you.  (I'd like to do this for you but I gotta get this pier mod job out next week.)  Best wishes and good luck.

Bob Garner, S.E.

From: David Maynard [mailto:DMaynard(--nospam--at)kfx.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 3:08 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Staad loading

The question is what the “bottom chord” loading is.  The title for Load 3, as I see it, is “Floor Live Load”.  This might not be the right loading.  You are likely looking at a model of a truss, and I don’t know what member 3 is, that is, if it is the top chord of the truss or the bottom chord.  Without seeing the entire input file, really ANY conclusion drawn from this is completely speculation.  The only thing you can determine is that this member is loaded with an 80 plf load in the global y (downward direction).  If these trusses are assumed to be at 2 foot centers, then yes, this is a 40 psf loading.  However, what member 3 is as far as the model is concerned, can NOT be determined by the information presented.

You can send me the file personally and I’ll take a look at it to verify.  I’ve used STAAD quite a bit and I’d be willing to clarify.  I would have no problem with this and it shouldn’t take long at all.

Dave Maynard, PE
Gillette, Wyoming