Re: Braced Basement Wall with Composite Floor

thanks

I currently have a gap of about 8.5ft between the W16 beam that runs
parallel to the wall and the wall itself. The intermediate stiffeners (W8x10
composite beams) are spanning between this beam and the wall at 8ft
centers.  I had put these in as a redundant to work with the continous
connection between the slab and the wall.

Currently, I have the slab connected to the top of the wall with a 3/8" cont
bent plate edge with 5/8"dia H.S.'s at 9" o.c.into the top of the wall (I
was thinking I would have to rely on shear friction if I had used dowels
into the wall instead of the plate with studs).

The wall is 12" thick, but it slims down to 7" at the top because the arch
needs a brick ledge down to extend down below grade and sit on the edge of
the wall. So I had a little trouble with the shearing off of the top of the
wall, but got it to work with a higher psi conc.

Will

On 5/23/06, Stuart, Matthew <mstuart(--nospam--at)schoordepalma.com> wrote:

> I would suggest that along the sides of the wall where the beam framing is
> parallel you eliminate the beam and bear the slab directly on top of the
> wall tying the same together with dowels by casting the slab (minus the
> deck) on top of the wall. Likewise where the framing is perpendicular, tie
> the slab edge into the top of the wall continuously. The horizontal shear
> capacity of the slab should easily check for the magnitude of load you
> indicated below. Be sure that you include a note on your drawings that the
> wall should not be backfilled until after the slab is cast and obtains
> adequate strength.
>
> Matthew Stuart

AdmID:87FC2777CBBFC773A6C332E5278D98EC