Re: Sag-rod effectiveness?

> From: Padmanabhan Rajendran <rakamaka(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>

> Sag rods are designed only for tension. As long as the end connections and
> the rod's cross section area can sustain the load in them, they should be
> acceptable.

It is common to use sag-restraints in compression, especially with cold
formed purlins. This is not well known and rarely designed properly -
the roof systems tend to perform adequately, anyway. This is why I say
that "sag" restraint is a VERY poor term to use. I prefer "purlin
stabilizer" or "purlin brace."

Regards
Paul

--