From: ASC [mailto:ggg(--nospam--at)bigpond.net.au]
Sent: Thu, May 25, 2006 1:37 AM
To: Struct EngAssoc
Subject: DENTED BOX GIRDER

Hello,

Are there specifications/references available to help determine if damage to
a beam is acceptable or not? Specifically, we have a crane outrigger box
girder with a dent on the side. The end users are questioning the need to
pull the dent out as suggested by the crane supplier.

Working at an industrial facility, other instances of damaged beams,
columns, etc. do come up. Becoming better educated on means of evaluating
these sort of things would be great as the conservative "it's no good" is
always a hard sell.

Thanks.

Brian
REPLY:

I do not know what the codes of practice say about this, but I would be surprised
if they had anything to say.

When you dent a plate, it means that its in-plane stiffness has decreased.
The consequence is load redistribution.
The extent depends on how big the dent is.

The direct stress will become bigger in some corner elements.

Sincerely,
Gregory from Oz.