From: Gerard Madden, SE [mailto:gmadden(--nospam--at)maddengine.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 28, 2006 3:10 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Diaphragm

There is nothing wrong with a flexible diaphragm. You just need to make
sure the load can get there and you are accounting for this behavior
(load
based on tributary or simple beam analogy).

Like others have said, you can use horizontal braces to stiffen it up
too
but if your metal deck is like Verco or something and not Standing seam
metal roofing, then you may not need to do this.

Does the building have mostly concrete perimeter walls? Is it one story?
If yes to both, your primary problem will be wall anchorage and
sub-diaphragm
system (I'm assuming Qatar is at least moderately seismically active).

-gm

Web