Re: Plated Wood Truss Responsibilities

> From: "Gary Hodgson & Associates" <ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca>
> To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
> Subject: Re: Plated Wood Truss Responsibilities

> I would take issue with that.  Up here, I know of no law forbidding the
> truss manufacturer from designing bracing.
>
> Sounds like something cooked up by the TPI to cover their collective butts.

> On 25 May 2006 at 13:54, Jordan Truesdell, PE wrote:

> > The truss fabricator, a very large organization, flatly refused to do
> > the work. Not just refused, but claimed that according to TPI it was
> > legally forbidden for them to do so.  As a result, I will be charging
> > more than my original consulting fee to design the bracing now.

They have to be careful about the scope of work that they accept. If
they step over the line from manufacturer to engineering consultant,
their legal position changes and they may not have the proper conditions
in place to provide that service (e.g. licenses, insurance, etc.). This
includes reviewing remedial work (e.g. somebody else's design) that does
not conform to their original design.

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International