From: Gary Hodgson & Associates [mailto:ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca]
Sent: Saturday, May 13, 2006 6:46 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: [SPAM] Re: Column to Column via End Plate

David,
I have seen a recommended detail for such a connection
as I had a similar problem. However my memory fails me
and I can't recall where I saw it,  There were no specific
recommendations for designing it.  I do have a detail
for such a splice where there is a need to transfer
moment and you are welcome to it.
I gather from what you have described that the webs are
aligned, in which case it should be ok to use a single
cap plate on the existing column. I think Bill's warning
is appropriate to plates with large moments, but I think
for a plate largely subject to through compression and
some shear, it should be ok.  I would still advise you
to check any thick plates for laminations. I would make
sure that any uplift on the plate is also checked.
Finally, I wonder if you could substitute a W14x53 as
the interior dimensions of the two cols would then align
Gary
P 905-357-6406, F 905-357-4852