Re: Use of Stair Tower

I think there are some fire isolation and stairway pressurization issues to be considered in high-rise buildings. My MEP guys never let me do any medium to high rise without an enclosed "tower".

Masroor
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 8:38 PM
Subject: RE: Use of Stair Tower

I think this covered by OSHA CFR 29.  It gives angle ranges and rise-run specifications for stairways.  It stay within these, you should be OK.  I don’t think it matters if you are on a high-rise or low-rise building.  It also gives specifications on landing elevations, stairway and landing widths and sizes.  By the bye, all of the OSHA manuals can be found on-line.  Permanent installations have to be according to your locally approved building code.  I hope this helps you out.

Sincerely,

David Maynard, PE

Gillette, Wyoming