From: "Polhemus, Bill" <BPolhemus(--nospam--at)wje.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 01:49 PM
Subject: RE: Is ASCE Competing Against Us?

I guess I just find it odd that ASCE, which is a professional
organization, should be in the business of consulting on a project of
this type.

Yes, I realize they are supposed to be providing an "unbiased
third-party opinion" as to the feasibility of construction of this
tunnel. But is this part of ASCE's mission, to provide engineering
services--even as part of some "blue ribbon panel"?

While it may give cover to elected officials ("Look, I got the American
Society of Civil Engineers involved! How can you possibly hold me
accountable for anything that might happen?"), who after all are a
source of lucrative business for a great many firms of the type that
participate in ASCE, I don't see how anyone else benefits.

I found it odd, and wonder if anyone else thinks so.