canopy wind uplift

ASCE wind load provisions still confuse me at times.  Well, actually most of the time.  They are way too complicated for the small structures that we do around here.

Anyway, I’ve been ask to look at a small bus stop canopy.  It is to be made of timber (got to have that wild west feeling) and the roof is a gable. The “designer” has shown some really shaky connections.  In my mind it is an “open structure”.  Am I correct in that in an open structure there is no uplift forces and it would fall into section 6.5.13 “Design Wind Loads on Open Buildings and Other Structures”?

Thanks,

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.