RE: Is ASCE Competing Against Us?

Bill:

You hit on something that was "buzzing" in the back of my head during this
thread...there is nothing in that press statement that the ASCE-led panel
that would say one way or another if there is compensation involved.  The
majority of folks that responded assumed that this was something that ASCE
was contracted to do.  I, however, assumed when I first saw this "news" in
my ASCE email newsletter assumed that it was going to be an ASCE-led
volunteer panel, much like every single ASCE committee is comprised of
volunteers that don't get paid for their work.  When this thread popped
up, I must admit that I went back and re-read the news release and I
cannot see anything that says one way or the other.  Thus, I don't know if
it is a paid effort or not.  The only thing that I can say is that we may
all be potentially guilty of making an assumption based upon our
preconceived notions of ASCE.  I made a "positive" assumption that it
was NOT a paid effort, but rather ASCE "volunteering" to help cause I
generally thing positive things of ASCE (except when you start to talk
about their whole Master's degree as the first professional degree push).
It appears that you made a "negative" assumption that it was a paid effort
due to what appears to be your somewhat negative (from my perspective at
least) view of ASCE.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI