From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 10:42 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: ipe wood

Mark:

You can also get that value from the Forest Products Lab's Wood Handbook
in Chapter 4.  Here is the link to the Wood Handbook table of contents and
the PDFs of the chapters:

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr113/fplgtr113.htm

As I said, this gets you the same value.  The advantage of this is that it
also gives you values for all kinds of other species including those that
are listed in the NDS supplement.  You can then look at the "adjusted"
values (i.e. NDS values) in comparison to the unadjusted values of a some
"common" species and get a decent idea (using your engineering
judgement) of the an adjustment factor to use for the Ipe value.

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Mark D. Baker wrote:

> Does anyone out there have mechanical properties for Ipe wood?
>

> I am looking at the USDA Wood Handbook General Technical Report
FPL-GTR-113