Re: Is ASCE Competing Against Us?

So, is it better that ASCE is doing this work for free, essentially removing the work from the pool of (for profit) professionals who might do this same work for a fee? Would it be worse that this might be viewed by professionals who get paid for this as professional service "dumping"?  Are my ASCE dues going to provide (free administrative, at the least) support to this public entity?

I'm not saying that this is necessarily "bad," but ASCE doing it pro bono does not necessarily answer all of the questions about whether they're competing with some of their members for projects.
Jordan

Scott Maxwell wrote:
Bill:

You hit on something that was "buzzing" in the back of my head during this
thread...there is nothing in that press statement that the ASCE-led panel
that would say one way or another if there is compensation involved.  The
majority of folks that responded assumed that this was something that ASCE
was contracted to do.  I, however, assumed when I first saw this "news" in
my ASCE email newsletter assumed that it was going to be an ASCE-led
volunteer panel, much like every single ASCE committee is comprised of
volunteers that don't get paid for their work.  When this thread popped
up, I must admit that I went back and re-read the news release and I
cannot see anything that says one way or the other.  Thus, I don't know if
it is a paid effort or not.  The only thing that I can say is that we may
all be potentially guilty of making an assumption based upon our
preconceived notions of ASCE.  I made a "positive" assumption that it
was NOT a paid effort, but rather ASCE "volunteering" to help cause I
generally thing positive things of ASCE (except when you start to talk
about their whole Master's degree as the first professional degree push).
It appears that you made a "negative" assumption that it was a paid effort
due to what appears to be your somewhat negative (from my perspective at
least) view of ASCE.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI