RE: Is ASCE Competing Against Us?

From: Jordan Truesdell, PE [mailto:seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 2:05 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Is ASCE Competing Against Us?

So, is it better that ASCE is doing this work for free, essentially removing the work from the pool of (for profit) professionals who might do this same work for a fee? Would it be worse that this might be viewed by professionals who get paid for this as professional service "dumping"?  Are my ASCE dues going to provide (free administrative, at the least) support to this public entity?

I'm not saying that this is necessarily "bad," but ASCE doing it pro bono does not necessarily answer all of the questions about whether they're competing with some of their members for projects.

To be fair (I’m trying, anyway), this sounds like something that’s being done as a sort of “peer review” of consultant research that has been or is now ongoing. In other words, they want someone to take a look at what is being proposed, and offer alternative suggestions or critical analysis.

Again, the original article from ASCE’s website is not exactly clear on the details.

I do wonder, though, who’s getting paid how much to do what.

And why ASCE is involved. After all, if the private consultants involved in this are also ASCE members—which seems likely—isn’t there still a conflict of interest?

ASCE being a SOCIETY made up primarily of employees of private firms, I don’t see how it can be a responsible party.

Remember, ASCE isn’t in the business of providing consulting services for fee. Rather they are in the business of (increasingly) advocating for spending the public dollar on work from which its member companies can benefit. I would thus be suspicious of any conclusions that an ASCE panel would come up with.

Especially if the Executive Summary reads something like “not enough! Spend more money!”