Steel Plate

Title: Steel Plate

I've designing a steel part for testing purposes.  My design requires an ASTM A572 Gr 50 plate (per Table 1-1 in 2nd edition Manual of Steel Construction, LRFD)  -- and yeah, I know there is a 13th edition….

I've found a local supplier who can provide the plate as needed, but another supplier offered up an AISI plate.  I did some web research, and one website is claiming that AISI-1040 and ASTM A572-Gr 50 are equivalent.  I suspect this is one of those deals like SAE bolts vs. ASTM A325/A490.  But I'd like more info.

Again, I got the grade of plate I needed, I'm just looking for information for my knowledge.  Why would one use an AISI plate over an ASTM Plate?

Thanks,
Tom

Thomas D. Skaggs, Ph.D., P.E.
Senior Engineer