[no subject]

I am doing the engineering for a residence at the top end of Washington State.  It's one of those 2 storey 1 end atrium style with curve stair etc.  I'm having a problem with not enough wall at the atrium end for lateral restraint.  The corners of the structure are 3ft+ radius curves.  If they were square ended, I could possibly use a hardy frame.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to deal with the curved wall?  The loads are not large but the hgt to length ratio is about .4, outside the allowable.  I would normally ignore the wall but there is no other length of wall on that side and the Client wants to avoid fabricated steel structures.  Unfortunately, I don't have much wall inside so carrying that bit extra is going to be very difficult.

Thor Tandy P.Eng MIStructE
Victoria, BC
Canada
vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net