Re: Is ASCE Competing Against Us? [Masters or not]

Stan gives a really thorough dissection of the engineer v. doctor v. lawyer education situation.  I look at it a bit more basically.  Eons ago I did the course work for a Masters but quit when faced with having to learn a WHOLE LOT about shear in a tiny concrete test beam (as part of a professor's research project, of course).  I don't think I've ever used one iota of the info I learned in the Master's program (shells, model testing, etc.), certainly not a fraction of what I learned in the following year in a small consulting engineering firm.  But it did get my mind back into engineering after a 4-year stint in the Navy right after my undergraduate program.

I appreciate Stan's strong argument against requiring a Masters, or a 5-year Bachelors.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA