Re: Is ASCE Competing Against Us? [Masters or not]

One might say that JD and MD degrees aren't "real" doctorates anyway, as there has been not original research and dissertation required. I got my MS from Cal Poly Pomona, and I would consider it to be a model of how the MS as a first professional degree should be done. Course work was focused on "advanced" topics in the field (I use quotes, because they were my first courses in the field, and seemed quite basic in terms of understanding the materials involved), and culminated in a project - usually a design exercise chosen by the student and a faculty adviser - which was presented to a panel of 4 (5?) professors in the CE department.  Really no different than making sure you could apply the work you had learned.  I found it fairly straightforward, and I had never worked in buildings before that point (but  already had my PE, fwiw). As an obstacle, it's just more money and time without a job. Of course, if they really want to make it worthwhile, make them put the 4 years of experience between the BS and MS degrees. That's where the real value lies - in going back and learning the advanced concepts after having to apply the basic ones in practice and seeing just how inadequate you BS was for working "in the real world." ;-)

Jordan

Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
Stan gives a really thorough dissection of the engineer v. doctor v. lawyer education situation.  I look at it a bit more basically.  Eons ago I did the course work for a Masters but quit when faced with having to learn a WHOLE LOT about shear in a tiny concrete test beam (as part of a professor's research project, of course).  I don't think I've ever used one iota of the info I learned in the Master's program (shells, model testing, etc.), certainly not a fraction of what I learned in the following year in a small consulting engineering firm.  But it did get my mind back into engineering after a 4-year stint in the Navy right after my undergraduate program.

I appreciate Stan's strong argument against requiring a Masters, or a 5-year Bachelors.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA