From: Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 14:33:11 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: RE: SPAM

Mark:

I dunno, but I suspect that your company or maybe your company's ISP might
have a server based SPAM filter that is catching them and removing them.

For me, this account does have a server based SPAM filter, but all it does
is add a label to the internet email header that labels it as SPAM if the
filter considers it SPAM.  The end user can then setup filters or rules
in their email client do what they want with the SPAM.  In my case, I have
a rule setup to move such flagged messages to a "SPAM" folder.  I then
review and delete them as appropriate.  And the SPAM filter is usually
dead on, but I have gotten false positives (for some reason Ralph Kratz
somehow was getting flagged as sending SPAM messages even though they were
valid SEAINT list messages...I had to repeated report that to the false
positive "system" but it appears to have been corrected).  I typically get
50 to 100  or more SPAM messages a day that end up in that folder.  This
is largely due to the fact that I have LONG used this email address on the
SEAINT list and it was not until a couple years ago that the list archives
were setup in such a way so that it was difficult for email "spiders" to
troll for email addresses to use for SPAM.  As such, this email address
has LONG been on the SPAM lists.  Thus, I usually don't notice any real
changes in SPAM levels as I have been getting crap loads on this address
for a while.

Anyway, I just went into that folder and did find a BUNCH of SPAM messages
that appear to be addressed to the list that appear to have come from the
SEAINT administrator's email address (seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org).  Since I
don't regularly review the SPAM messages that close, I cannot say if this
is a new phenomenan or not.  But by looking at the messages, it does
suggest that at a minimum the SEAINT admin's email account is being
spoofed, but I suspect that it might even be a case of the email account
being hacked or either the server or email account being hit with a
worm/virus so that it becomes a SPAM zombie or relay.  This is due to the
fact that the email header has a lot of stuff that implies that the SEAINT
server/domain created & sent the message (i.e. the message ID carries a
seaint.org tag)...but I am not sure if that is something that can be
spoofed or not...usually it is something that is a good indicator of where
it really came from.

The end result is that there are a bunch of messages that appear to be
coming from the SEAINT server, but it not 100% clear to me if that is
really the case or not.

Scott
Adrian, MI