Re: GL beam strengthening

Joe:

As someone else hinted at, you need to make sure that your load sharing
percentages are determined by deformation/deflection compatibility.  It is
not clear from your post if the 60% to the new beam was determined from
relative strength or deflection compatibility, but by doing a quick
deflection capatibility calc I get that the new beam would take roughly
75% of the load.  My calc assumed that both beams were of the same glulam
grade (i.e. in theory the modulus of elasticity, E, would be the same).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI