Re: built-up wood beam

List,

I have been asked to review drawings for a house addition,  The designer
has called for an existing beam (9h x 11.25v actual or nominal?) to be
reinforced with a 2" x 11.5" hardwood plank glued on the flat to the
bottom of the existing beam with an epoxy glue.  I am assuming the
original beam is S-P-F or Doug Fir as that is pretty standard around
here.  No grades or species were given. I have never heard of such a
thing and do not want to comment on it if it is acceptable practise but
it seems strange to me.  The house is approximately 20 years old.  I'm
just wanting to feel warm and fuzzy about this.

TIA,

Gary