RE: built-up wood beam

Gary:

If you are going to do the built-up beam, I would second the idea of using
nails as a "backup" (or instead of) to the glue.  I don't have an overall
problem with the general principle involved (i.e. a composite/built-up
section), but don't get too many "warm fuzzies" with the idea of doing by
way of glue.  The idea of thru-bolts is not really idea either as the
thru-bolt holes will likely allow for some relative "slip".  Nails or lag
bolts, on the other hand, might give me enough "warm fuzzies" if I just
_HAD_ to use a wood built-up section.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI