RE: Bulldog Grip built-up wood beam

< I always add nails to hold the pieces in place while the glue cures, but
also as a backup.>

I believe its worth paying particular attention to the ends. While working
on something that went into orbit, I was given the time and resources to
analyze some glue joints in shear and peel. The ASTM lap joint test
procedure would result in  "X" psi rating, but the analytically predicted
peak stresses at the ends were several times that average number. In shear,
the stress profile from end to end looked like a longhorn's horns.
Nails/lags would act as shear delamination arrestors. You'd have some fun
quantifying that though......

Chuck Ritter
JAR Associates, Inc
401-294-4589