Re: GL beam strengthening

Simplest solution is to stiffen and strengthen the existing beam assuming the original beam bearing is adequate as stated. A method I have used in the past is to add tension rods to the beam imbedded with an adhesive designed for that purpose. I have used it to repair rotted cantilevered deck beams all from the outside and avoided having to replace the entire beam and disturbing the interior of the building: this particular problem could be solved by adding the tension rods to the bottom of the existing beam. This is analogous to rebar in a concrete beam. A company in England called Rotafix developed this scheme and has been using it for several decades in Europe and Canada, according to their web site. I have specified their adhesive and procedures in four projects two of which have been completed (and tested by the way).
Charles O. Laines, S.E.
Long Beach, CA