From: AWC Info [mailto:AWCInfo(--nospam--at)afandpa.org]
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 6:27 AM
To: 'SEAINT Listserver (seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org)'
Subject: GL beam strengthening

If deflection is an issue, you might want to consider lag screws instead of
through bolts to connect the two beams. With the allowance for oversize
holes, you'll get 1/32" or more slip before load sharing begins.

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media
AF&PA/American Wood Council
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
P: 202-463-2769
F: 202-463-2791
http://www.awc.org

The American Wood Council (AWC) is the wood products division of the
American Forest & Paper Association (AF&PA). AWC develops internationally
recognized standards for wood design and construction. Its efforts with
building codes and standards, engineering and research, and technology
transfer ensure proper application for engineered and traditional wood
products.

The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA
standard.  Interpretations of AF&PA standards are only available through a
formal process outlined in AF&PA's standards development procedures.