RE: GL beam strengthening

I believe the truss industry is looking at this wrt built-up truss girder
design. TPI or WTCA might have more info on that. IIRC, load sharing is
proportional to stiffness, but I don't think it's been quantified yet.

Also, there is an ASTM standard, D6555 Guideline for Evaluating System
Effects in Repetitive-Member Wood Assemblies, which defines the individual
effects responsible for enhanced repetitive-member performance and provides
general information on the variables that should be considered in the
evaluation of the magnitude of such performance.

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media
AF&PA/American Wood Council
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
P: 202-463-2769
F: 202-463-2791
http://www.awc.org

The American Wood Council (AWC) is the wood products division of the
American Forest & Paper Association (AF&PA). AWC develops internationally
recognized standards for wood design and construction. Its efforts with
building codes and standards, engineering and research, and technology
transfer ensure proper application for engineered and traditional wood
products.

The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA
standard.  Interpretations of AF&PA standards are only available through a
formal process outlined in AF&PA's standards development procedures.