From: Joe Grill
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 3:05 PM
Subject: HSS column splice

I'm doing a column splice detail.  I'm told that lengths over 20' in a 5x5 tube steel aren't available around here.  The splice will be just above a floor diaphragm, and I will be able to block the column into the floor framing pretty well.  I?m considering using a sleeve from a section of HSS that is larger than the column section.

Anyway, will an HSS 5x5 fit inside an HSS 5.5x5.5x1/4 sleeve?  Has anybody else out there done this?

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.

Civil Engineering and Surveying