From: "Joe Grill" <jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com>
To: "'seaint'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: HSS column splice
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 15:05:53 -0700

I'm doing a column splice detail.  I'm told that lengths over 20' in a 5x5
tube steel aren't available around here.  The splice will be just above a
floor diaphragm, and I will be able to block the column into the floor
framing pretty well.  I'm considering using a sleeve from a section of HSS
that is larger than the column section.

Anyway, will an HSS 5x5 fit inside an HSS 5.5x5.5x1/4 sleeve?  Has anybody
else out there done this?

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.