From: dave lowen [mailto:jatech(--nospam--at)kwic.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 3:56 PM
To:
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: HSS column splice

Joe

A better fix would be a sleeve inside your column that would serve as a backup bar. You could do a CP joint from the outside. The sleeve could be an HSS section or a bent plate.

I have seen HSS columns CP welded to girder flanges without a backup bar but not a column splice. I’m sure it could be done, though.

Another option would be a cap plate between the lower shaft and the upper.

Dave