From: Bill Allen [mailto:T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)cox.net]
Sent: June 7, 2006 7:18 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: HSS column splice

I was under the impression that Joe was going to use the inserted 5x5 as the backup bar.

You say you have seen HSS columns CP welded to girder flanges without a backup bar, but how do you get a CP weld without a back up bar?

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

V (949) 248-8588 F(949) 209-2509