Re: ASCE / IBC wind

In a message dated 6/7/06 5:41:38 PM, barrywelliver2(--nospam--at)earthlink.net writes:
Is there a fascination with complexity of methodology which continues to grow in our profession?

No question about that, Barry.  I just pulled out my first concrete code, ACI 318-63, about the size of a Reader's Digest.  And about as simplistic.  Did the growth of codes since then come from the practicing engineer, who wanted more accurate and precise ways to model every nuance of structural behavior?  Doubtful.

I don't object to research-based code provisions, but I do feel that there should be simpler provisions for simpler situations.  If the Big Boys want to play with very complex analysis in high rises we house-engineers should have appropriate code provisions that don't require such intense analysis.  If the simpler approach needs to be fairly conservative we can live with that.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA