Re: Strengthening existing glulam

Neat idea. Did you shore up the existing wood beam during this process or
was it partially loaded with some dead loads during this operation

Ganesh Thiagarajan, PE

On 6/7/06, Dan Morrow <dmorrow(--nospam--at)swensonsayfaget.com> wrote:
I once strengthened an existing wood beam with joist framing on each
side by having the contractor **carefully** kerf a longitudinal slot in
the beam from the underside with a chainsaw-type beam cutter and then
insert a WT section in the slot and through-bolt wood and steel.  Worked
in my case but is highly dependent on workmanship.

Dan Morrow, PE

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org