Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 8:17 AM
Subject: Re: HSS column splice

Why not just use an HSS 6x6 sleeve instead?

Will

On 6/7/06, Joe Grill <jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com> wrote:

I'm doing a column splice detail.  I'm told that lengths over 20' in a 5x5 tube steel aren't available around here.  The splice will be just above a floor diaphragm, and I will be able to block the column into the floor framing pretty well.  I'm considering using a sleeve from a section of HSS that is larger than the column section.

Anyway, will an HSS 5x5 fit inside an HSS 5.5x5.5x1/4 sleeve?  Has anybody else out there done this?

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.

Civil Engineering and Surveying