From: Daryl Richardson [mailto:h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca]
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 8:46 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: HSS column splice

Fellow engineers,

        I'm the last person anyone should take critical welding advice from; but, if the weld is that critical and you absolutely must provide a solution, why don't you put in a full diaphragm 4x4x(say 0.5"thick) inside one of the HSS and protruding into the other HSS, assemble the components, then do the weld?

        Just a thought.  If it's a really bad idea one of you can let me know.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson