Re: HSS column splice

I have spliced HSS columns before where I changed sizes from one floor to the next. For instance, I had an HSS 5x5 at the lower floor and an HSS 4x4 upper column would slide about 1'-0" into the HSS 5x5. I welded shear tabs flatwise up against each face of the HSS 4x4 to keep it in place and bear against the top of the HSS 5x5. I thought it could be done similarly in your case. Have the HSS 5x5 column above and below with say a 2'-0" HSS 6x6 sleeve fitting 1'-0" over each HSS 5x5 end. Then weld shear tabs onto each face of the column above and below the sleeve. Or may  be easier to do a different connection altogether after this much welding.

Will Haynes