From: "Dave Gaines" <gainesengr@earthlink.net>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Re: FPW - HSS column splice
------=_NextPart_000_0020_01C68A45.91668770
From: Joe Grill=20
To: 'seaint'=20
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 3:05 PM
Subject: HSS column splice

I'm doing a column splice detail. I'm told that lengths over 20' in a =
5x5 tube steel aren't available around here. The splice will be just =
above a floor diaphragm, and I will be able to block the column into the =
floor framing pretty well. I'm considering using a sleeve from a =
section of HSS that is larger than the column section.

Anyway, will an HSS 5x5 fit inside an HSS 5.5x5.5x1/4 sleeve? Has =
anybody else out there done this?=20
Joe

Joe
A better fix would be a sleeve inside your column that would serve as a
backup bar. You could do a CP joint from the outside. The sleeve could be an
HSS section or a bent plate.

I have seen HSS columns CP welded to girder flanges without a backup bar but
not a column splice. I'm sure it could be done, though.

Another option would be a cap plate between the lower shaft and the upper.

Dave