Rebar Shop Drawings

List Members:

Our firm specializes in low rise steel framed buildings with reinforced masonry infill walls. The only reinforcing steel is therefore in the foundations and the masonry walls. We have noticed a marked decline in the quality of the rebar placing plans we receive. In several instances the rebar placing plans simply state to send "X" number of stock length bars that the contractor is to cut and fit in the field - this after having us send the detailer electronic copies of our design drawings. We are considering foregoing the review of rebar placing plans in the future. What have others experienced with rebar placing plans for "simple" buildings and what is the opinion on not reviewing rebar placing plans for such buildings?

Adam Vakiener, PE
Austell, GA