Re: ASCE / IBC wind

Paul:

As you may have gathered from the other response to your question, yes,
there is a simplified method in the IBC (2000 edition at least) and ASCE
7.  It is NOT as "simplified" as what is in the 1997 UBC.

While I am not sure I "like" the UBC wind provisions (they are potentially
a little too "simplified"), I fully agree that the provisions in ASCE 7
have gone a little overboard (in my opinion at least).  And if (when) I
get on ASCE 7 (I have applied to be a committee member and in theory will
be added sometime soon), then it is entirely possible that I may be dumb
enough to see if I cannot find out why the wind provisions are so complex
and see if they can be simplified.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI