RE: Dallas to Calatrava: Redesign within the Budget

What was that Dan Quayle quote?

Quote:   Vice-President Dan Quayle once said, "I was recently on a tour of
Latin America, and the only regret I have was that I didn't study Latin
harder in school so I could converse with those people."

Also of note:

Welcome to World Stadiums!

We are proud to present you the most comprehensive stadium database on the
net, which currently contains more than 9 000 stadiums in over 224 countries
and visited by more than 15 000 daily visitors.

Note that the left vertical menu is used to search for stadiums by
geographical region; the above horizontal menu provides miscellaneous
information related to stadiums and this site.

We put a great deal of effort into constantly updating our data. So, please
do not forget to bookmark World Stadiums, and if you would like to
contribute, please feel free to contact us.

Well, at least I'm not the only one!

If I offended anyone with my poor knowledge of latin plural, I apologize:

Plurals of Latin/Greek words
by Mark Israel

     [This is a fast-access FAQ excerpt.]

Not all Latin words ending in "-us" had plurals in "-i".
"Apparatus", "cantus", "coitus", "hiatus", "impetus", "Jesus",
"lapsus linguae", "nexus", "plexus", "prospectus", "sinus", and
"status" were 4th declension in Latin, and had plurals in "-us" with
"genus", and "opus" were 3rd declension, with plurals "corpora",
"genera", and "opera".  "Virus" is not attested in the plural in
Latin, and is of a rare form (2nd declension neuter in -us) that
makes it debatable what the Latin plural would have been; the only
plural in English is "viruses".  "Omnibus" and "rebus" were not
nominative nouns in Latin.  "Ignoramus" was not a noun in Latin.

   Not all classical words ending in "-a" had plurals in "-ae".
"Anathema", "aroma", "bema", "carcinoma", "charisma", "diploma",
"dogma", "drama", "edema", "enema", "enigma", "lemma", "lymphoma",
"magma", "melisma", "miasma", "sarcoma", "schema", "soma", "stigma",
"stoma", and "trauma" are from Greek, where they had plurals in
"-ata".  "Quota" was not a noun in Latin.  (It comes from the
Latin expression quota pars, where quota is the feminine
form of an interrogative pronoun meaning "what number".  In *that*
use, it did have plural quotae, but in English the only plural
is "quotas".)

   Not all classical-sounding words ending in "-um" have plurals in
"-a".  "Factotum", "nostrum", "quorum", and "variorum" were not
nouns in Latin.  (Totus = "everything" and noster = "our" were
conjugated like nouns in Latin; but "factotum" comes from fac
totum = "do everything", and "nostrum" comes from nostrum
remedium = "our remedy".)  "Conundrum", "panjandrum", "tantrum",
and "vellum" are not Latin words.

   If in doubt, consult a dictionary (or use the English plural in
"-s" or "-es").  One plural that you *will* find in U.S.
dictionaries, "octopi", raises the ire of purists (the Greek plural
is "octopodes").

   The Latin plural of "curriculum vitae" is "curricula vitae".
Some people who know a little Latin think it should be "curricula
vitarum" (since vitae means "of a life" and vitarum means "of
lives"); but to an ancient Roman, "curricula vitarum" would suggest
that each document described more than one life.  This is a feature
of the Latin genitive of content, which differs in this regard from
the more common Latin genitive of possession.

( I had to delete some of the more "naughty" Latin words...!)

Best,

David L. Fisher SE PE
Senior Director
Fisher+Partners Structural Engineers - Cayman

372 West Ontario Chicago 60610
319 A Street Boston 02210

312.573.1701
312.573.1726 facsimile