Subject: Re: HSS column splice

Joe,

my curious eye seems to remember see Hss splices in a high rise where they welded a plate on top of the lower Hss section then the extension was set on the plate  and fillet or full pen welded to the plate. so the splice is welding to a horizontal plate between the upper and lower sections. they had some shear type looking plates around the outside so they could bolt the upper column to the lower for erection.(later to be cutoff?)  I think they also changed hss sizes at the plate.   The plate could be slightly oversized to account for the out of square tolerances issues noted in one reply.

Tim Rudolph
Pinyon Engineering
Bishop,CA