ASCE / IBC wind

Personally, I am intimidated by the wind and seismic provisions of ASCE 7.  But what I detest is change for the sake of change.  By the time you get all geared up to change them, I will have either figured the damned things out or purchased a program to do the math for me.  Please don't complicate my life for no good reason.

John Riley

Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu> wrote:
Paul:

As you may have gathered from the other response to your question, yes,
there is a simplified method in the IBC (2000 edition at least) and ASCE
7. It is NOT as "simplified" as what is in the 1997 UBC.

While I am not sure I "like" the UBC wind provisions (they are potentially
a little too "simplified"), I fully agree that the provisions in ASCE 7
have gone a little overboard (in my opinion at least). And if (when) I
get on ASCE 7 (I have applied to be a committee member and in theory will
be added sometime soon), then it is entirely possible that I may be dumb
enough to see if I cannot find out why the wind provisions are so complex
and see if they can be simplified.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI