Re: Strengthening existing glulam

Mo,
How do you check the condition of the beam down the road when it's covered, in respect of moisture ingress / termites etc?

Simon

j1(--nospam--at)quakewrap.com wrote:
List,

FYI, we have done several projects where we have strengthened existing
glulam or sawn lumber beams with FRP. This is much better than the
proposed procedure. You can click on the following link and see 3 such
projects:

http://quakewrap.com/sample_projects.php?order=wooden

In the case of Coolidge High School Gymnasium Project (which received
the 2004 Award of Excellence from SEA of Arizona), we raised the
allowable live load from 40 to 60 psf.

Mo Ehsani, Ph.D., S.E.

Professor of Civil Engineering, U. of Arizona and

President, QuakeWrap, Inc.

Office: (520) 791-7000

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org