Re: Ivany Block

Charlie,

I have not used Ivany Block on any job, but have allowed the use of
open ended block (both A and H shapes) on many jobs.  Many of the CMU
manufacturers in the western US produce such shapes.  I like them
because the number of lap splices in my vertical reinforcement are
greatly reduced.

--Kipp Martin
  Carollo Engineers
  Portland, Oregon

>>> CanitzCF(--nospam--at)aol.com 6/9/2006 8:36 am >>>
Anyone use this CMU for one of your projects? Per the manufacturer's
literature, it appears to have the same strength properties as a
"typical" CMU unit
except that it's opened ended and slots occur atop the interior webs to
allow
horizontal rebar placement. I suspect that the material cost would be
higher
that the "typical" CMU unit but that labor cost savings may be realized
since the
unit is open ended to allow for the vertical rebar.

Thanks,
Charlie Canitz, PE
Annapolis, MD