Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: waterstops in slab

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]



Construction joints in slabs


Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.

Civil Engineering and Surveying


-----Original Message-----
From: Sherman, William [mailto:ShermanWC(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 6:38 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: RE: waterstops in slab


Are you talking about slab joints or wall joints?  Movement joints or construction joints?


In general, I do not use keyed joints - I use roughened joints for construction joints and doweled joints for movement joints.


William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311
Fax: 303-293-8236
email: shermanwc(--nospam--at)



From: Joe Grill [mailto:jgrill(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Friday, June 09, 2006 2:51 PM
To: 'seaint'
Subject: waterstops in slab

For some of you that regularly do industrial work.  I am trying to finish up the drawings for a clarifier tank in a waste water treatment plant.  I have an old drawing dating back about 10 years that, for the slab construction joints, they just called out “keyed construction joint with waterstops, typ.”.  I have a copy of ACI “Concrete Structures for Containment of Hazardous Materials”.  In that publication there is a detail for a joint with shear transfer dowels and waterstops with the waterstop below the dowels.  There is no keyed joint in the detail in the ACI document.  I kind of lean towards the dowels (say 3/4” @ 24” o.c.), but if that is not typical for this type of construction I can go with the keyed joint.


What do some of you prefer for this situation, or does it matter?  I have a 12” slab thickness and about a 15’ deep circular tank.  The tank walls are also 12” thick.





Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.

Civil Engineering and Surveying