RE: Tack-welding nuts of high strength bolts

Bob,

I would strongly recommend against tack welding the nuts. Not only does this become a potential fracture problem, many bridge owning Agencies (I’m assuming an agency such as a DOT) prohibit this practice for their bridges.

Have you considered or discussed with your fabricator the use of blind bolts (a proprietary name that comes to mind is Huck Bolt)? I’m away from my office at the moment and don’t have access to my files for an address or contact number, but I’m sure you can find them in the web.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tom

Thomas J. Cummings, PE

Manager - Bridge Design Practice

Gannett Fleming Engineers and Architects, P.C.

One Penn Plaza, Suite 2222

250 West 34th Street

New York, NY 10119

P:  (212) 967-9833 Ext. 5244