Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:00 AM
Subject: Tack-welding nuts of high strength bolts

Good morning,

A bridge manufacturer has requested tack-welding nuts to a splice plate to make a blind connection of a HSS truss chord splice.  The bolts are ASTM A325, Type 3 (plain) in a snug-tight bearing connection.  Nut specifications are not given.  The splice plate is ASTM A588 steel.

I would appreciate any opinions on tack-welding these nuts.

Thank you.

With respect,

Bob Garner, S.E.

R. Garner