Tack Welding of Nuts

Thank you all for your response.  I have included the following note on the fabricator's shop drawing submittal:

"The material specifications for nuts allowed for use with A325 bolts (per AISC Table 2.1 of Specifications for Structural Joints Using ASTM A325 or A490 Bolts) are not included under the allowable base metals in AWS D1.1.  In addition, AWS D1.1 Section 3.3.7.3 requires tack welds to be removed if not incorporated into final welds.  Accordingly, these welds are not in compliance with Contract requirements."

I can't say that tack welding the nuts won't work, but with the Contract requirements being what they are, I interpret the Contract to preclude tack welding them.

We'll see what the fabricator comes up with.  Probably the blind "Huck" bolts or?

Thanks again.

Bob Garner

R. Garner

Moffatt & Nichol