Re: 2006 FIFA World Cup: Who Cares?

Anantha and Stan,

Cricket is boring... too long. I give you that.

Soccer/Football is awesome at the top level like world cup. Soccer dominates youth sports in this country as well for girls and boys. The US team will be a contender always from here on out.

In the US, with the short attention span, your comments are dead on and typical.

American Football is the best sport to watch on TV, Baseball in person. Basketball is dreadful even in the NBA, in person or TV. Hockey is tolerable in person. The NBA was better in the 80's and mid 90's in the Dr. J, Bird, Magic, Jordan era's .... now it's pitiful, no fundamentals, no shooting, no sportmanship and the college game has gone down too as a result.

Soccer has it flaws, but if you understand the game, have played it even a little in your lifetime, it's a great sport.

If USA can beat Italy (not impossible) but they'll have to beat up Ghana by a few goals They have a good shot still since the Czeck's should beat Italy. The Czeck's are one of the top teams in the world and the USA played timidly.

The National Champion in NCAA football could beat any other countty's pro team with the exception of Canada possibly, so the NFL champion is the world champion. The winner of the World Series can beat any country's all star team as well, same in Basketball... not so sure about hockey.

-gm