Re: Snow Drift and Importance Factor

The importance factor is used in calculating the flat roof snow load, pf, if you are given the ground snow load, pg, using Eq 7-1 in ASCE 7.  The drift snow height and density are a function of the ground snow load.  In the case where there is no ground snow load and only the flat roof snow load is given (not uncommon in Alaska), the ground snow load is calculated using Eq 7-1.

Wesley Werner wrote:
Message
List,

    Does the importance factor for snow only apply to flat roof snow loads and not to drifts. I would have thought that the importance factor should be applied to any snow load, but reading through the ASCE 7 section on drifts leads me to believe that the importance factor does not need to be applied to drifts.

Wesley C. Werner